St. Charles Parish, Winnipeg

Identity area

Type of entity

Parish

Authorized form of name

St. Charles Parish, Winnipeg

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

Franciscan presence, 1949 - 1979

History

In 1854, Fr. Louis LaFleche, OMI, constructed a small log chapel by the Assiniboine River to minister to the Metis families in the area. The first regular church was built in 1866 by Fr. Lestanc, but it was destroyed by a windstorm in 1884. A new Gothic-style church building was constructed in 1905. On New Years Eve 1928, this building was destroyed by fire. The church was quickly rebuilt and stood until new additions were started in 1987 and completed in 1988.

In 1917, the parish was transferred from the Archdiocese of St. Boniface to the newly formed Archdiocese of Winnipeg. From 1858 to 1928, the French Oblates were the pastors of the Parish, and the German Oblates were pastors until 1949. In 1949, Archbishop Murray gave the Parish to the Franciscans who administered it until 1979. In 1979, the Franciscans returned the administration of the Parish to the Archdiocese of Winnipeg.

Places

St. Charles (Winnipeg), Manitoba, Canada.

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

Franciscans who have been pastors in this Parish include:

  • Fr. Clement Lepine, 1949-1951
  • Fr. Hilary Tardif, 1951-1952
  • Fr. Fidelis Chicoine, 1952-1955
  • Fr. Clement Lepine, 1955-1956
  • Fr. Raynier Chabot, 1956-1961
  • Fr. Felix Surette, 1961-1963
  • Fr. Stan Frytek, 1963-1978

General context

Christ the King Province

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

CTK

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources


  • 06-03-01, Historical notes on Parish
  • 06-03-18, Liturgy of rededication program

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC