St. Mary's Parish, Cochrane

Identity area

Type of entity

Parish

Authorized form of name

St. Mary's Parish, Cochrane

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

est. 1895

History

In 1895, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate built and dedicated a church in Cochrane, Alberta, to "The Holy Name of Mary", forming St. Mary's parish. The parish was served by the Oblates until 1947 when it was returned to the care of the Calgary Diocese. In 1948, the Franciscan Friars were requested by Bishop Carroll to set up retreats in the area and to assume administration of St. Mary's parish. The Franciscans bought land from Harry McConachie and built Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre, which was blessed by Bishop Carroll in 1949. In 1959, St Mary's second church was built after the first church had been subjected to numerous accidents from cars running into the rectory. The Franciscans salvaged lumber from the first church and built a small replica of it on the grounds of Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre. In 1970, St. Mary's parish was returned to the care of diocesan priests.

Places

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada.

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

Franciscan Friars who have served in the parish include:
1949, Fr. Thomas Denis
1951, Fr. Wilfred Brazeau
1952, Fr. Edwin Kuefler
1960, Fr. Gandolph Wagner
1969, Fr. Paul Stack

General context

Christ the King Province.

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

CTK

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC