Our Lady of the Angels Parish, Fort Saskatchewan

Identity area

Type of entity


Authorized form of name

Our Lady of the Angels Parish, Fort Saskatchewan

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

est. 1908


Our Lady of the Angels parish began as a mission of Our Lady of Lourdes in Lamoureux, Alberta, led by Father Arthur Rappard OFM. The first mass was celebrated on 3 May 1908 in the parlor of Thomas Sullivan. Later that month, on 28 May 1908, mass began to be celebrated in the hall of what was formerly the Victoria Restaurant rented from Napoleon Millette. On 27 Sep 1909, construction began on the church building on one acre of land granted by the government from the police reserve on Government Street. The first mass in the building was celebrated on 25 Dec 1909, Midnight mass and High mass. On 8 May 1910, the completed church building was blessed by Bishop Legal. Franciscan fathers served the parish until June 1950, when Our Lady of the Angels parish reverted to a mission parish of Lamoureux and the Archdiocese of Edmonton took over the parish from the Franciscan Order.


Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada.

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

Franciscan fathers who have served in the parish (May be some discrepancies in the dates):
1908, Fr. Arthur Rappard
1910, Fr. Simon Archambault
1910-1912, Fr. Boniface Heidmeir
1912, Fr. Hilarion Boulay
1914-1917, Fr. Boniface Heidmeir
1919, Fr. Pius Guenette
1922, Fr. Martin Dietrich
1923, Fr. Fidelis Chicoine
1926, Fr. Zephirin Noel
1928, Fr. Barnabe Lafond
1929, Fr. Marcellin Sarrasin
1930, Fr. William Lavalle
1932, Fr. Clement Lepine
1934, Fr. Alexis Auger
1938, Fr. Camille Chasse
1942, Fr. Abel Mireault
1946, Fr. Cuthbert Seward
1948-1950, Fr. Juniper Kuefler

General context

Christ the King Province.

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




  • "History of the Parish." https://www.olafortsask.caedm.ca/
  • "Pioneering in the West" by Fr. Boniface Heidmeir
  • 04.04.08, Newspaper clippings
  • 04.04.09, Parish priests list

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places