Affichage de 18 résultats

Notice d'autorité

St. Francis of Assisi Friary, Calgary

  • CTK
  • Friary
  • 1959 - 1989

St. Francis of Assisi Friary was established when the Franciscans were entrusted St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Calgary, Alberta. The Friary was located at 243-24 Avenue N.W. The Friary was closed and the Franciscans left in 1989.

Regina Minorum Friary, Regina

  • CTK
  • Friary
  • 1931 - 1975

Regina Minorum Friary was established in 1931 when Archbishop McGuigan invited the Franciscans to the Archdiocese of Regina. On 10 May 1931, the Franciscans agreed to purchase what was formerly the Archbishop's residence on 2107 McIntyre Street for the Franciscan residence and closed retreats. The first mass was celebrated in the Friary on 4 Jul 1931. The Franciscan residence was dedicated for closed retreats on 6 Sep 1931. However, in 1932, Archbishop McGuigan requested the Franciscans to forego closed retreats for the time being and instead offer the use of their residence for education. The Franciscans were asked to take charge of the education and formation of future priests. Thus, the Regina Cleri Major Seminary was established in 1932. In 1936, the western commissariate of the Franciscans was formed and Regina Minorum Friary was chosen as the headquarters for the new Commissariate of Christ the King with Fr Celestine Demers, who was the Superior of the Friary and Vice Rector of the Seminary, as the first Commissary Provincial.

Paroisse Sainte-Marie, Winnipeg

  • CTK
  • Parish
  • est. 1948

St. Vital was an eastern suburb of St. Boniface and is part of greater Winnipeg. Paroisse Sainte-Marie contained French-speaking families and was given to the Franciscans by Archbishop Cabana of St. Boniface in 1948. Fr. Amedee Houle was the founder and organizer of the parish, which had a church and school combined. Fr. Fidelis Chicoine also served as the pastor of the parish.

St. Mary's Parish, Cochrane

  • CTK
  • Parish
  • est. 1895

In 1895, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate built and dedicated a church in Cochrane, Alberta, to "The Holy Name of Mary", forming St. Mary's parish. The parish was served by the Oblates until 1947 when it was returned to the care of the Calgary Diocese. In 1948, the Franciscan Friars were requested by Bishop Carroll to set up retreats in the area and to assume administration of St. Mary's parish. The Franciscans bought land from Harry McConachie and built Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre, which was blessed by Bishop Carroll in 1949. In 1959, St Mary's second church was built after the first church had been subjected to numerous accidents from cars running into the rectory. The Franciscans salvaged lumber from the first church and built a small replica of it on the grounds of Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre. In 1970, St. Mary's parish was returned to the care of diocesan priests.

Regina Cleri Major Seminary, Regina

  • CTK
  • Educational institution
  • 1932 - 1975

Regina Cleri Major Seminary was founded on 6 Jan 1932 and opened in 15 Sep 1932. It was established by Most Rev. J.C. McGuigan, Archbishop of Regina, at 2107 McIntyre street, Regina, Saskatchewan. The seminary was housed in what had been the Archbishop's residence, which was purchased by the Franciscans in 1931. The faculty included Director and prefect of studies, Archbishop Mcguigan; spiritual director, Father Celestin Joseph, OFM; professor of moral theology and prefect of discipline, Father Joseph Phelan; professor of dogma, Very Rev. Hadien Malo, OFM; professor of canon law, Very Rev. Dr. Frank Gerein; professor of sacred scripture, Rev. Father Antoine McGolrick. Courses available included dogmatic theology, moral theology, sacred scripture, canon law, church history, liturgy, ecclesiastical chant, spiritual theology, catechetics, social sciences. The Seminary was closed on 5 Jun 1965. The property was leased as a federal youth hostel for four months in 1974. On 18 Feb 1975, the building was sold and was later demolished.

St. Charles Parish, Winnipeg

  • CTK
  • Parish
  • Franciscan presence, 1949 - 1979

In 1854, Fr. Louis LaFleche, OMI, constructed a small log chapel by the Assiniboine River to minister to the Metis families in the area. The first regular church was built in 1866 by Fr. Lestanc, but it was destroyed by a windstorm in 1884. A new Gothic-style church building was constructed in 1905. On New Years Eve 1928, this building was destroyed by fire. The church was quickly rebuilt and stood until new additions were started in 1987 and completed in 1988.

In 1917, the parish was transferred from the Archdiocese of St. Boniface to the newly formed Archdiocese of Winnipeg. From 1858 to 1928, the French Oblates were the pastors of the Parish, and the German Oblates were pastors until 1949. In 1949, Archbishop Murray gave the Parish to the Franciscans who administered it until 1979. In 1979, the Franciscans returned the administration of the Parish to the Archdiocese of Winnipeg.

Heidmeier, Boniface

  • CTK
  • Personne
  • 6 Dec 1880 - 18 Mar 1971

Father Boniface Heidmeier was born Hermann Joseph on 6 Dec 1880 in Westphalia, Germany. On 1 Nov 1902, Fr. Boniface took the habit in Amiens, France, and made his simple profession on 4 Nov 1903 in Clevedon, England. He obtained a degree in Dogmatic Theology and Philosophy from the International College of St. Anthony in Rome in 1903-1904. He received minor orders on 23 July 1904 at the Lateran in Rome. His solemn profession was made on 4 Nov 1906 in Quebec and he was ordained into the priesthood on 20 Dec 1908 in Quebec.

Fr. Boniface's ministries included the Thuringian Province of St. Elizabeth of Fulda in Germany, 1904-1905, and ministry to Polish Franciscans at Pulaski, 1909. In April 1909, Fr. Boniface arrived at the Franciscan mission in Lamoureux, Alberta, and supervised the construction of the first Franciscan friary and parish in Western Canada in the north Edmonton Packing Plant Mission. From 1909-1927, Fr. Boniface served various parishes and missions in Alberta in English, German, French, and Polish; the parishes and missions included Ross Creek, Chipman district, Cookville, Suckerslough, Pine Creek, Warspite, Redwater, Smokey Lake. He also conducted clergy and sisters' retreats for many years. In 1926, Fr. Boniface recruited 21 young men for St. Anthony's College in Edmonton from a series of missions in Saskatchewan.

In 1927, Fr. Boniface was sent to Vancouver where he founded St. Francis of Assisi Parish in 1936 and was its pastor for the next 25 years. St. Francis church was constructed in 1938 and St. Clare's Convent for sisters was founded in 1945. The St. Francis Parish school was built in 1945-1947. Fr. Boniface was the superior of the Vancouver's St. Francis Friary and Regional Commissary for the Third Order. In 1961, Fr. Boniface moved to St. Joseph's Friary in Victoria as the Custodial Historian.

Fr. Boniface Heidmeier died on 18 Mar 1971 in Victoria. He is buried in Ocean View Cemetery in Vancouver.

Desmarais, Frederic

  • CTK
  • Personne
  • 23 Oct 1901 - 27 Mar 1957

Brother Frederic Desmarais was born Joseph Desmarais on 23 Oct 1901 to Frederic Desmarais and Agnes Joyal in Quebec. He joined the Franciscan Order in June 1925 at Sherbrooke and made his solemn profession on 24 Jun 1929. Br. Frederic died on 27 Mar 1957 at Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba. He is buried in St. Charles Cemetery in Winnipeg.

Lepine, Clement

  • CTK
  • Personne
  • 29 Jun 1899 - 9 Jan 1963

Father Clement Lepine was born on 29 Jun 1899 in Montreal to Edmond Lepine and Lea Levasque. He entered the Franciscan Order in September 1923 and was ordained to the priesthood on 29 Jun 1930. That same year, Fr. Clement went to Edmonton, AB, where he taught at St. Anthony's College until 1939, where he also served as Rector of the College for several years.

From 1940-1942, Fr. Clement served as a missionary in Japan and was the Guardian of the Franciscan friary in Tokyo. During this period, he also spent time as a prisoner of war in a Japanese concentration camp. On his return to Canada, Fr. Clement worked with the Japanese population in New Denver, BC.

From 1952-1954, Fr. Clement was named Guardian of Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre in Cochrane, AB. In 1954, he went to St. Charles, MB, as Superior and pastor of the parish, and he remained there until he was transferred to Victoria to take charge of the newly formed St. Jean-Baptiste Parish.

Fr. Clement passed away suddenly in Victoria on 9 Jan 1963. He is buried in Ocean View Cemetery in Vancouver.

Our Lady of the Angels Parish, Fort Saskatchewan

  • CTK
  • Parish
  • est. 1908

Our Lady of the Angels parish began as a mission of Our Lady of Lourdes in Lamoureux, Alberta, led by Father Arthur Rappard OFM. The first mass was celebrated on 3 May 1908 in the parlor of Thomas Sullivan. Later that month, on 28 May 1908, mass began to be celebrated in the hall of what was formerly the Victoria Restaurant rented from Napoleon Millette. On 27 Sep 1909, construction began on the church building on one acre of land granted by the government from the police reserve on Government Street. The first mass in the building was celebrated on 25 Dec 1909, Midnight mass and High mass. On 8 May 1910, the completed church building was blessed by Bishop Legal. Franciscan fathers served the parish until June 1950, when Our Lady of the Angels parish reverted to a mission parish of Lamoureux and the Archdiocese of Edmonton took over the parish from the Franciscan Order.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 18