Affichage de 23 résultats

Notice d'autorité
fuchs
Paes, Xavier
CTK · Personne · 23 Oct 1918 - 14 Feb 1991

Fr. Xavier Paes was born John Sebastian Paes on 23 Oct 1918 in Karachi, Pakistan, to father John Braz Paes and mother Matilda Nazareth. Fr. Xavier made his solemn profession on [7/8] Sep 1940 in Alverna, Holland. He studied Philosophy and Theology in Holland and he was ordained to the priesthood on 11 Mar 1945 in Weert, Holland.

Fr. Xavier worked as a missionary and chaplain on his return to Pakistan in 1945. From 1946-1952, he was a chaplain at two Catholic institutions: St. Anthony's and St. Patrick's Cathedral in Karachi. From 1952-1956, he did missionary work in Matti, then he worked as a teacher in Sukkar until 1960. From 1960-1975, Fr. Xavier was the parish priest in Karachi. He then worked as a missionary from Hyderabad, while living in the Bishop's Residence.

In 1984, Fr. Xavier went on leave for a year and visited his relatives who were in Canada. While in Canada, he joined the friars in western Canada. He served for one year as an interim local ministry both in Victoria and Vancouver friaries in 1985 and 1986 respectively. In 1987 until his death, he stayed at St. Joseph's Friary in Victoria. Fr. Xavier died on 14 Feb 1991 in Calgary while convalescing from an illness.

Paroisse Sainte-Marie, Winnipeg
CTK · Parish · est. 1948

St. Vital was an eastern suburb of St. Boniface and is part of greater Winnipeg. Paroisse Sainte-Marie contained French-speaking families and was given to the Franciscans by Archbishop Cabana of St. Boniface in 1948. Fr. Amedee Houle was the founder and organizer of the parish, which had a church and school combined. Fr. Fidelis Chicoine also served as the pastor of the parish.

St. Francis of Assisi Friary, Calgary
CTK · Friary · 1959 - 1989

St. Francis of Assisi Friary was established when the Franciscans were entrusted St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Calgary, Alberta. The Friary was located at 243-24 Avenue N.W. The Friary was closed and the Franciscans left in 1989.

Regina Minorum Friary, Regina
CTK · Friary · 1931 - 1975

Regina Minorum Friary was established in 1931 when Archbishop McGuigan invited the Franciscans to the Archdiocese of Regina. On 10 May 1931, the Franciscans agreed to purchase what was formerly the Archbishop's residence on 2107 McIntyre Street for the Franciscan residence and closed retreats. The first mass was celebrated in the Friary on 4 Jul 1931. The Franciscan residence was dedicated for closed retreats on 6 Sep 1931. However, in 1932, Archbishop McGuigan requested the Franciscans to forego closed retreats for the time being and instead offer the use of their residence for education. The Franciscans were asked to take charge of the education and formation of future priests. Thus, the Regina Cleri Major Seminary was established in 1932. In 1936, the western commissariate of the Franciscans was formed and Regina Minorum Friary was chosen as the headquarters for the new Commissariate of Christ the King with Fr Celestine Demers, who was the Superior of the Friary and Vice Rector of the Seminary, as the first Commissary Provincial.

Heidmeier, Boniface
CTK · Personne · 6 Dec 1880 - 18 Mar 1971

Father Boniface Heidmeier was born Hermann Joseph on 6 Dec 1880 in Westphalia, Germany. On 1 Nov 1902, Fr. Boniface took the habit in Amiens, France, and made his simple profession on 4 Nov 1903 in Clevedon, England. He obtained a degree in Dogmatic Theology and Philosophy from the International College of St. Anthony in Rome in 1903-1904. He received minor orders on 23 July 1904 at the Lateran in Rome. His solemn profession was made on 4 Nov 1906 in Quebec and he was ordained into the priesthood on 20 Dec 1908 in Quebec.

Fr. Boniface's ministries included the Thuringian Province of St. Elizabeth of Fulda in Germany, 1904-1905, and ministry to Polish Franciscans at Pulaski, 1909. In April 1909, Fr. Boniface arrived at the Franciscan mission in Lamoureux, Alberta, and supervised the construction of the first Franciscan friary and parish in Western Canada in the north Edmonton Packing Plant Mission. From 1909-1927, Fr. Boniface served various parishes and missions in Alberta in English, German, French, and Polish; the parishes and missions included Ross Creek, Chipman district, Cookville, Suckerslough, Pine Creek, Warspite, Redwater, Smokey Lake. He also conducted clergy and sisters' retreats for many years. In 1926, Fr. Boniface recruited 21 young men for St. Anthony's College in Edmonton from a series of missions in Saskatchewan.

In 1927, Fr. Boniface was sent to Vancouver where he founded St. Francis of Assisi Parish in 1936 and was its pastor for the next 25 years. St. Francis church was constructed in 1938 and St. Clare's Convent for sisters was founded in 1945. The St. Francis Parish school was built in 1945-1947. Fr. Boniface was the superior of the Vancouver's St. Francis Friary and Regional Commissary for the Third Order. In 1961, Fr. Boniface moved to St. Joseph's Friary in Victoria as the Custodial Historian.

Fr. Boniface Heidmeier died on 18 Mar 1971 in Victoria. He is buried in Ocean View Cemetery in Vancouver.

Desmarais, Frederic
CTK · Personne · 23 Oct 1901 - 27 Mar 1957

Brother Frederic Desmarais was born Joseph Desmarais on 23 Oct 1901 to Frederic Desmarais and Agnes Joyal in Quebec. He joined the Franciscan Order in June 1925 at Sherbrooke and made his solemn profession on 24 Jun 1929. Br. Frederic died on 27 Mar 1957 at Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba. He is buried in St. Charles Cemetery in Winnipeg.

Lepine, Clement
CTK · Personne · 29 Jun 1899 - 9 Jan 1963

Father Clement Lepine was born on 29 Jun 1899 in Montreal to Edmond Lepine and Lea Levasque. He entered the Franciscan Order in September 1923 and was ordained to the priesthood on 29 Jun 1930. That same year, Fr. Clement went to Edmonton, AB, where he taught at St. Anthony's College until 1939, where he also served as Rector of the College for several years.

From 1940-1942, Fr. Clement served as a missionary in Japan and was the Guardian of the Franciscan friary in Tokyo. During this period, he also spent time as a prisoner of war in a Japanese concentration camp. On his return to Canada, Fr. Clement worked with the Japanese population in New Denver, BC.

From 1952-1954, Fr. Clement was named Guardian of Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre in Cochrane, AB. In 1954, he went to St. Charles, MB, as Superior and pastor of the parish, and he remained there until he was transferred to Victoria to take charge of the newly formed St. Jean-Baptiste Parish.

Fr. Clement passed away suddenly in Victoria on 9 Jan 1963. He is buried in Ocean View Cemetery in Vancouver.

St. Mary's Parish, Cochrane
CTK · Parish · est. 1895

In 1895, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate built and dedicated a church in Cochrane, Alberta, to "The Holy Name of Mary", forming St. Mary's parish. The parish was served by the Oblates until 1947 when it was returned to the care of the Calgary Diocese. In 1948, the Franciscan Friars were requested by Bishop Carroll to set up retreats in the area and to assume administration of St. Mary's parish. The Franciscans bought land from Harry McConachie and built Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre, which was blessed by Bishop Carroll in 1949. In 1959, St Mary's second church was built after the first church had been subjected to numerous accidents from cars running into the rectory. The Franciscans salvaged lumber from the first church and built a small replica of it on the grounds of Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre. In 1970, St. Mary's parish was returned to the care of diocesan priests.

St. Charles Parish, Winnipeg
CTK · Parish · Franciscan presence, 1949 - 1979

In 1854, Fr. Louis LaFleche, OMI, constructed a small log chapel by the Assiniboine River to minister to the Metis families in the area. The first regular church was built in 1866 by Fr. Lestanc, but it was destroyed by a windstorm in 1884. A new Gothic-style church building was constructed in 1905. On New Years Eve 1928, this building was destroyed by fire. The church was quickly rebuilt and stood until new additions were started in 1987 and completed in 1988.

In 1917, the parish was transferred from the Archdiocese of St. Boniface to the newly formed Archdiocese of Winnipeg. From 1858 to 1928, the French Oblates were the pastors of the Parish, and the German Oblates were pastors until 1949. In 1949, Archbishop Murray gave the Parish to the Franciscans who administered it until 1979. In 1979, the Franciscans returned the administration of the Parish to the Archdiocese of Winnipeg.