Showing 18 results

Authority record

Brochu, Edmond

  • CTK
  • Person
  • 4 Aug 1927 - 30 Oct 1975

Fr. Edmond Brochu was born on 4 Aug 1927 in Colonsay, SK, to Albert Brochu and Laura Desrochers. He made his solemn profession on 4 Oct 1959 in Montreal and was ordained to the priesthood on 24 Aug 1960 in Saskatoon.

From 1960-1961, Fr. Edmond taught Pastoral Theology at Regina Cleri Major Seminary. In 1961, he moved to St. Francis Friary in Edmonton where he served in various capacities. Fr. Edmond was the assistant pastor of St. Francis Church; he taught at St. Anthony's College, Archbishop O'Leary high school, and St. Joseph's Composite high; was director of the Secular Franciscans in Edmonton. He led the Cursillo movement in Edmonton and was active in founding and maintaining the Vanier House.

In 1973, Fr. Edmond was appointed guardian of St. Francis Friary in Winnipeg and the Provincial director of the Secular Franciscans there. He was also chaplain for the Marymount Home for Girls and a team member for the Marriage Encounter Program.

Fr. Edmond died on 30 Oct 1975 in Winnipeg after an extended illness with cancer. He is buried in the Mount St. Francis cemetery in Cochrane.

Cayer, John Capistran

  • CTK
  • Person
  • 17 Apr 1900 - 13 Apr 1978

John Capistran Cayer was born on 17 April 1900 in Capelton, Quebec. He began his studies at the Seraphic College in Trois-Rivieres in 1912. On 14 Aug 1919, Cayer took the habit and made his profession on 14 Aug 1920. He was ordained to the priesthood on 11 Jul 1926.

Not long after, in 1927, Cayer came to St. Anthony’s College in Edmonton, where he taught and served successively as Prefect, Rector, and Superior. He added a new wing to College in 1931.

From 1939-1941, Cayer studied Theology in Innsbruck, Austria. Upon his return to Canada, he taught at Regina Cleri Major Seminary in Regina from 1941-1945.

In 1945, he was appointed Commissary Provincial of the Franciscans in the west. Three years later, on 2 Aug 1948, he was elected by the Chapter to be Provincial of St. Joseph’s Province and was based in Montreal.

John Capistran Cayer was consecrated on 17 Sep 1949 as Bishop of Cissi and Vicar Apostolic of Egypt. He served in this role from 1949 until his death.

He died on 13 Apr 1978 and is buried in Alexandria, Egypt.

Claude-Laboissiere, Alphonse

  • CTK
  • Person
  • 28 Mar 1901 - 5 Aug 1962

Alphonse Claude-Laboissiere was born on 28 Mar 1901 in Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec. He took the habit on 27 Aug 1922 and was solemnly professed on 28 Aug 1926. Fr. Alphonse was ordained on 30 Sep 1928 in Montreal.

In 1929, Fr. Alphonse went to St. Anthony’s College in Edmonton where he served as professor, Prefect of discipline, rector, and Prefect of studies. In 1939, he was sent to Winnipeg where he was one of the founders of the friary and vicar of St. Mary’s Cathedral.

In June 1940, at the start of the Second World War, Fr. Alphonse joined as a military chaplain. From July 1940 to April 1941, he was the chaplain to the Quartiers Generaux de Montreal, Grenadiers de Montreal and the Canadian Forestry Corps, Valcartier, Quebec. In April 1941, he sailed to Glasgow, Scotland, as the chaplain of the Forestry Corps and as the acting chaplain of the Free French and Belgian troops. In Aug 1943, Fr. Alphonse became the chaplain to troops in Algeria at the Canadian base in Philippeville, and he was also the acting senior chaplain in North Africa. In Jan 1944, he served as the chaplain to the Royal Canadian 22nd Regiment (the Van Doos), stationed at Avellino, Italy, and later on the front lines on the Adriatic. Fr. Alphonse was wounded in Mar 1944 at San Nicola at the Battle of Ortona by shrapnel. On 25 Apr 1944, he was promoted to acting senior chaplain and temporary Lieutenant-Colonel of the 1st Canadian Army Corps in Italy. On 15 May 1944, he was promoted to Major and the senior chaplain in charge of reinforcements and Canadian hospitals in Italy and Africa. In Jan 1945, Fr. Alphonse was evacuated to a military hospital in Colchester, England, for war wounds and cardiac problems. He returned in Canada in April 1945.

On his return to Canada, Fr. Alphonse was appointed the Guardian of St. Francis Friary in Edmonton and the rector of St. Anthony’s College. In 1948-1955, he was elected as the Commissary Provincial of western Canada. During this time, beginning in 1948, Fr. Alphonse began discussions to build a retreat house in the Rockies. As a result, Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre was founded in Cochrane, Alberta, and Fr. Alphonse was appointed the first Superior of the retreat. From 1955-1962, Fr. Alphonse was at St. Charles, Manitoba. In Feb 1962, due to poor health, he moved to stay at the infirmary at the friary in Rosemont, Montreal.

Fr. Alphonse died on 5 Aug 1962 in Montreal. He is buried in the Mount St. Francis Cemetery in Cochrane, Alberta.

Desmarais, Frederic

  • CTK
  • Person
  • 23 Oct 1901 - 27 Mar 1957

Brother Frederic Desmarais was born Joseph Desmarais on 23 Oct 1901 to Frederic Desmarais and Agnes Joyal in Quebec. He joined the Franciscan Order in June 1925 at Sherbrooke and made his solemn profession on 24 Jun 1929. Br. Frederic died on 27 Mar 1957 at Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba. He is buried in St. Charles Cemetery in Winnipeg.

Heidmeier, Boniface

  • CTK
  • Person
  • 6 Dec 1880 - 18 Mar 1971

Father Boniface Heidmeier was born Hermann Joseph on 6 Dec 1880 in Westphalia, Germany. On 1 Nov 1902, Fr. Boniface took the habit in Amiens, France, and made his simple profession on 4 Nov 1903 in Clevedon, England. He obtained a degree in Dogmatic Theology and Philosophy from the International College of St. Anthony in Rome in 1903-1904. He received minor orders on 23 July 1904 at the Lateran in Rome. His solemn profession was made on 4 Nov 1906 in Quebec and he was ordained into the priesthood on 20 Dec 1908 in Quebec.

Fr. Boniface's ministries included the Thuringian Province of St. Elizabeth of Fulda in Germany, 1904-1905, and ministry to Polish Franciscans at Pulaski, 1909. In April 1909, Fr. Boniface arrived at the Franciscan mission in Lamoureux, Alberta, and supervised the construction of the first Franciscan friary and parish in Western Canada in the north Edmonton Packing Plant Mission. From 1909-1927, Fr. Boniface served various parishes and missions in Alberta in English, German, French, and Polish; the parishes and missions included Ross Creek, Chipman district, Cookville, Suckerslough, Pine Creek, Warspite, Redwater, Smokey Lake. He also conducted clergy and sisters' retreats for many years. In 1926, Fr. Boniface recruited 21 young men for St. Anthony's College in Edmonton from a series of missions in Saskatchewan.

In 1927, Fr. Boniface was sent to Vancouver where he founded St. Francis of Assisi Parish in 1936 and was its pastor for the next 25 years. St. Francis church was constructed in 1938 and St. Clare's Convent for sisters was founded in 1945. The St. Francis Parish school was built in 1945-1947. Fr. Boniface was the superior of the Vancouver's St. Francis Friary and Regional Commissary for the Third Order. In 1961, Fr. Boniface moved to St. Joseph's Friary in Victoria as the Custodial Historian.

Fr. Boniface Heidmeier died on 18 Mar 1971 in Victoria. He is buried in Ocean View Cemetery in Vancouver.

Lepine, Clement

  • CTK
  • Person
  • 29 Jun 1899 - 9 Jan 1963

Father Clement Lepine was born on 29 Jun 1899 in Montreal to Edmond Lepine and Lea Levasque. He entered the Franciscan Order in September 1923 and was ordained to the priesthood on 29 Jun 1930. That same year, Fr. Clement went to Edmonton, AB, where he taught at St. Anthony's College until 1939, where he also served as Rector of the College for several years.

From 1940-1942, Fr. Clement served as a missionary in Japan and was the Guardian of the Franciscan friary in Tokyo. During this period, he also spent time as a prisoner of war in a Japanese concentration camp. On his return to Canada, Fr. Clement worked with the Japanese population in New Denver, BC.

From 1952-1954, Fr. Clement was named Guardian of Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre in Cochrane, AB. In 1954, he went to St. Charles, MB, as Superior and pastor of the parish, and he remained there until he was transferred to Victoria to take charge of the newly formed St. Jean-Baptiste Parish.

Fr. Clement passed away suddenly in Victoria on 9 Jan 1963. He is buried in Ocean View Cemetery in Vancouver.

Notre Dame du Lac Parish, Lac du Bonnet

  • CTK
  • Parish
  • Franciscan presence, 1946 - 1963

In 1946, the Franciscans were invited by Archbishop George Cabana of St. Boniface to take over the Lac du Bonnet parish and the missions attached to it. The missions included Bisset, and Red Lake, which could be reached by plane. Besides these, there was Great Falls, Seven Sisters, Milner Ridge, Maple School district and Pointe du Bois. Fr. Sylvestre Beaudet and Fr. Stan Frytek were appointed to take over the work. Fr. Englebert Paradis after his release as an army chaplain was sent to Lac du Bonnet. He used his army pay to buy a new residence on the lake shore that would serve as the Friary.

Fr. Alberic Frechette was appointed pastor after Fr. Englebert Paradis departed to become the pastor of St. Francis Parish in Edmonton. After Fr. Frechette was offered the Parish at Maillardville, today part of Coquitlam, Fr. Ulric Ell was appointed pastor in 1953-1961. Fr. McRae arrived in 1954 to help with the missions.

In 1955, construction began for the new church building. Fr. Ulric Ell also designed and built the chapel in Whiteshell in 1968. Fr. George Hart was appointed Pastor after Fr. Ulric Ell; the assistant pastor was Fr. Bonaventure (Dureau) until he went to Peru and was replaced by Fr. Fred Doll.

In 1963, the Franciscans left Lac du Bonnet and were replaced by the diocesan priests of the Archdiocese of St. Boniface.

Our Lady of the Angels Parish, Fort Saskatchewan

  • CTK
  • Parish
  • est. 1908

Our Lady of the Angels parish began as a mission of Our Lady of Lourdes in Lamoureux, Alberta, led by Father Arthur Rappard OFM. The first mass was celebrated on 3 May 1908 in the parlor of Thomas Sullivan. Later that month, on 28 May 1908, mass began to be celebrated in the hall of what was formerly the Victoria Restaurant rented from Napoleon Millette. On 27 Sep 1909, construction began on the church building on one acre of land granted by the government from the police reserve on Government Street. The first mass in the building was celebrated on 25 Dec 1909, Midnight mass and High mass. On 8 May 1910, the completed church building was blessed by Bishop Legal. Franciscan fathers served the parish until June 1950, when Our Lady of the Angels parish reverted to a mission parish of Lamoureux and the Archdiocese of Edmonton took over the parish from the Franciscan Order.

Paroisse Sainte-Marie, Winnipeg

  • CTK
  • Parish
  • est. 1948

St. Vital was an eastern suburb of St. Boniface and is part of greater Winnipeg. Paroisse Sainte-Marie contained French-speaking families and was given to the Franciscans by Archbishop Cabana of St. Boniface in 1948. Fr. Amedee Houle was the founder and organizer of the parish, which had a church and school combined. Fr. Fidelis Chicoine also served as the pastor of the parish.

Results 1 to 10 of 18