- 1931 - 1975
Regina Minorum Friary was established in 1931 when Archbishop McGuigan invited the Franciscans to the Archdiocese of Regina. On 10 May 1931, the Franciscans agreed to purchase what was formerly the Archbishop's residence on 2107 McIntyre Street for the Franciscan residence and closed retreats. The first mass was celebrated in the Friary on 4 Jul 1931. The Franciscan residence was dedicated for closed retreats on 6 Sep 1931. However, in 1932, Archbishop McGuigan requested the Franciscans to forego closed retreats for the time being and instead offer the use of their residence for education. The Franciscans were asked to take charge of the education and formation of future priests. Thus, the Regina Cleri Major Seminary was established in 1932. In 1936, the western commissariate of the Franciscans was formed and Regina Minorum Friary was chosen as the headquarters for the new Commissariate of Christ the King with Fr Celestine Demers, who was the Superior of the Friary and Vice Rector of the Seminary, as the first Commissary Provincial.