Showing 23 results

Authority record
CTK · Parish · est. 1934

St. Francis of Assisi parish began when Bishop Kidd purchased the former Jewish Community Centre at 6 Ave S.E. in 1931. The building was renovated to serve as a chapel primarily to serve Hungarian immigrants with the first pastor being Rev. Joseph Racz from Montreal. It also served as a chapel of ease for St. Mary's cathedral. Due to a lack of Hungarian-speaking priests, the church was closed. It was reopened in Dec 1934 by Bishop Monahan and St. Francis of Assisi parish was created. The first pastor of the new parish was Rev. Patrick Beaton. In 1957, the original building was replaced by a church designed and built by J. Stevenson & Associates. It was opened on 28 Aug 1957.
In 1959, the parish was entrusted to the Franciscans. The first Franciscan pastor was Fr. Dunstan McLellan and the assistant priest was Fr. Michael Sieferling. The Franciscans were involved in Diocesan Social Action in the downtown area, giving spiritual and other assistance to people in the inner city area. In 1988, Bishop Paul O'Byrne entrusted the parish to the Dominicans.

CTK · Parish · est. 1954

At the time of Bishop Mathieu, the French-Canadian Catholics in Regina had a special Mass in French on Sundays at the Holy Rosary cathedral. Beginning in 1932, at the request of Archbishop McGuigan, the Franciscans provided regular French Sunday services in their chapel at Regina Minorum Friary. For the next 21 years, the Friary chapel was used for these services until it could no longer accommodate the number of attendees.

In 1953, a building at the corner of McIntyre Street and 15 Avenue was purchased and the first mass was celebrated at Christmas. With official Vatican approval, Archbishop O’Neill signed the Decree of Erection of St. Jean-Baptiste Parish on 4 Nov 1954. The first parish priest was Fr. Sylvestre Beaudette OFM, who had arrived in Regina in 1950. He was assisted by Lucien Kemble, Sigismond Lajoie, and Raynier Chabot.

St. Jean-Baptiste Parish organized many activities including a women’s society The Ladies of the Altar, Council of French-speaking Knights of Columbus, a parish choir, and a parish school Mathieu. In 1962, construction began for a new parish complex, which was opened on Christmas Eve 1963. The old church building was also sold in 1963.

The Franciscans were priests for St. Jean-Baptiste Parish from its foundation in 1954 until 1974, when the Oblates took over parish ministry.

St. Mary's Parish, Cochrane
CTK · Parish · est. 1895

In 1895, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate built and dedicated a church in Cochrane, Alberta, to "The Holy Name of Mary", forming St. Mary's parish. The parish was served by the Oblates until 1947 when it was returned to the care of the Calgary Diocese. In 1948, the Franciscan Friars were requested by Bishop Carroll to set up retreats in the area and to assume administration of St. Mary's parish. The Franciscans bought land from Harry McConachie and built Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre, which was blessed by Bishop Carroll in 1949. In 1959, St Mary's second church was built after the first church had been subjected to numerous accidents from cars running into the rectory. The Franciscans salvaged lumber from the first church and built a small replica of it on the grounds of Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre. In 1970, St. Mary's parish was returned to the care of diocesan priests.