- Corporate body
- 1909 - 2018
Showing 19 resultsAuthority record
- 8 Nov 1902 - 27 Apr 1984
Fr. Leonard Marie Puech was born Charles Louis Marie on 8 Nov 1902 in Malben, France. He took the habit on 7 Sep 1921 and made his solemn profession on 8 Sep 1925. Fr. Leonard was ordained in Montreal on 25 Jul 1928.
Fr. Leonard taught at various places including Montreal (1930-1931), San Antonio, Rome (1931-1934), and Quebec City (Dec 1934-Apr 1935). In the summer of 1945, Fr. Leonard was appointed Visitator General of the Province of the Holy Gospel in Mexico. From 1945-1949, he was the Definitor Provincial of that Province, and later the Custos from 1949-1951. Starting in 1954, Fr. Leonard spent much of his time preaching in Canada, USA, Mexico, and Colombia. In 1957, he was appointed Visitator General of the Province of the Holy Gospel in Mexico once more.
From 1958-1961, Fr. Leonard was the professor of theology at Regina Cleri Major Seminary. In 1961-1967, he was the Custodial Councillor and served various other roles including Vicar, Master of student priests, clerics, and brothers, Spiritual director, Rector of the Seminary, and Guardian of the friary. In 1972, Fr. Leonard moved to Vancouver and was the parish assistant and author of a weekly column on spiritual life in the BC Catholic paper.
Fr. Leonard died on 27 Apr 1984 and is buried in Oceanview Cemetery in Vancouver.
- Educational institution
- 1932 - 1975
Regina Cleri Major Seminary was founded on 6 Jan 1932 and opened in 15 Sep 1932. It was established by Most Rev. J.C. McGuigan, Archbishop of Regina, at 2107 McIntyre street, Regina, Saskatchewan. The seminary was housed in what had been the Archbishop's residence, which was purchased by the Franciscans in 1931. The faculty included Director and prefect of studies, Archbishop Mcguigan; spiritual director, Father Celestin Joseph, OFM; professor of moral theology and prefect of discipline, Father Joseph Phelan; professor of dogma, Very Rev. Hadien Malo, OFM; professor of canon law, Very Rev. Dr. Frank Gerein; professor of sacred scripture, Rev. Father Antoine McGolrick. Courses available included dogmatic theology, moral theology, sacred scripture, canon law, church history, liturgy, ecclesiastical chant, spiritual theology, catechetics, social sciences. The Seminary was closed on 5 Jun 1965. The property was leased as a federal youth hostel for four months in 1974. On 18 Feb 1975, the building was sold and was later demolished.
- 1931 - 1975
Regina Minorum Friary was established in 1931 when Archbishop McGuigan invited the Franciscans to the Archdiocese of Regina. On 10 May 1931, the Franciscans agreed to purchase what was formerly the Archbishop's residence on 2107 McIntyre Street for the Franciscan residence and closed retreats. The first mass was celebrated in the Friary on 4 Jul 1931. The Franciscan residence was dedicated for closed retreats on 6 Sep 1931. However, in 1932, Archbishop McGuigan requested the Franciscans to forego closed retreats for the time being and instead offer the use of their residence for education. The Franciscans were asked to take charge of the education and formation of future priests. Thus, the Regina Cleri Major Seminary was established in 1932. In 1936, the western commissariate of the Franciscans was formed and Regina Minorum Friary was chosen as the headquarters for the new Commissariate of Christ the King with Fr Celestine Demers, who was the Superior of the Friary and Vice Rector of the Seminary, as the first Commissary Provincial.
- Franciscan presence, 1949 - 1979
In 1854, Fr. Louis LaFleche, OMI, constructed a small log chapel by the Assiniboine River to minister to the Metis families in the area. The first regular church was built in 1866 by Fr. Lestanc, but it was destroyed by a windstorm in 1884. A new Gothic-style church building was constructed in 1905. On New Years Eve 1928, this building was destroyed by fire. The church was quickly rebuilt and stood until new additions were started in 1987 and completed in 1988.
In 1917, the parish was transferred from the Archdiocese of St. Boniface to the newly formed Archdiocese of Winnipeg. From 1858 to 1928, the French Oblates were the pastors of the Parish, and the German Oblates were pastors until 1949. In 1949, Archbishop Murray gave the Parish to the Franciscans who administered it until 1979. In 1979, the Franciscans returned the administration of the Parish to the Archdiocese of Winnipeg.
- 1959 - 1989
St. Francis of Assisi Friary was established when the Franciscans were entrusted St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Calgary, Alberta. The Friary was located at 243-24 Avenue N.W. The Friary was closed and the Franciscans left in 1989.
- est. 1934
St. Francis of Assisi parish began when Bishop Kidd purchased the former Jewish Community Centre at 6 Ave S.E. in 1931. The building was renovated to serve as a chapel primarily to serve Hungarian immigrants with the first pastor being Rev. Joseph Racz from Montreal. It also served as a chapel of ease for St. Mary's cathedral. Due to a lack of Hungarian-speaking priests, the church was closed. It was reopened in Dec 1934 by Bishop Monahan and St. Francis of Assisi parish was created. The first pastor of the new parish was Rev. Patrick Beaton. In 1957, the original building was replaced by a church designed and built by J. Stevenson & Associates. It was opened on 28 Aug 1957.
In 1959, the parish was entrusted to the Franciscans. The first Franciscan pastor was Fr. Dunstan McLellan and the assistant priest was Fr. Michael Sieferling. The Franciscans were involved in Diocesan Social Action in the downtown area, giving spiritual and other assistance to people in the inner city area. In 1988, Bishop Paul O'Byrne entrusted the parish to the Dominicans.
- est. 1954
At the time of Bishop Mathieu, the French-Canadian Catholics in Regina had a special Mass in French on Sundays at the Holy Rosary cathedral. Beginning in 1932, at the request of Archbishop McGuigan, the Franciscans provided regular French Sunday services in their chapel at Regina Minorum Friary. For the next 21 years, the Friary chapel was used for these services until it could no longer accommodate the number of attendees.
In 1953, a building at the corner of McIntyre Street and 15 Avenue was purchased and the first mass was celebrated at Christmas. With official Vatican approval, Archbishop O’Neill signed the Decree of Erection of St. Jean-Baptiste Parish on 4 Nov 1954. The first parish priest was Fr. Sylvestre Beaudette OFM, who had arrived in Regina in 1950. He was assisted by Lucien Kemble, Sigismond Lajoie, and Raynier Chabot.
St. Jean-Baptiste Parish organized many activities including a women’s society The Ladies of the Altar, Council of French-speaking Knights of Columbus, a parish choir, and a parish school Mathieu. In 1962, construction began for a new parish complex, which was opened on Christmas Eve 1963. The old church building was also sold in 1963.
The Franciscans were priests for St. Jean-Baptiste Parish from its foundation in 1954 until 1974, when the Oblates took over parish ministry.
- est. 1895
In 1895, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate built and dedicated a church in Cochrane, Alberta, to "The Holy Name of Mary", forming St. Mary's parish. The parish was served by the Oblates until 1947 when it was returned to the care of the Calgary Diocese. In 1948, the Franciscan Friars were requested by Bishop Carroll to set up retreats in the area and to assume administration of St. Mary's parish. The Franciscans bought land from Harry McConachie and built Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre, which was blessed by Bishop Carroll in 1949. In 1959, St Mary's second church was built after the first church had been subjected to numerous accidents from cars running into the rectory. The Franciscans salvaged lumber from the first church and built a small replica of it on the grounds of Mount St. Francis Retreat Centre. In 1970, St. Mary's parish was returned to the care of diocesan priests.